MRC training is offered throughout the year, with times and topics varying from unit to unit. Find upcoming training events for your unit.
As a volunteer, you will be required to undergo training in:
- Personal/family preparednessWhen disaster strikes, the most important concern is you and your family’s safety. A course in personal or family preparedness helps you create a plan and disaster supply kit, so that you are prepared for the next disaster.
- Incident Command System (ICS)ICS is a standardized system for command and coordination of an emergency response that allows responders to adopt an integrated organizational structure. It is important for all response volunteers, both MRC and EMS, to understand the Incident Command System, so that they know their role in the ICS structure.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)NIMS is a systematic approach to guide all levels of government, non-government, and private sector organizations to work together seamlessly and manage incidents of all threats and hazards. ICS is a subcomponent of NIMS.
- Psychological first aid/Disaster mental healthDisasters create a high stress environment and can affect everyone in different ways. It is important to understand stress management, and mental health support for yourself, disaster survivors and responders.
- Points of Distribution (POD)PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers will be activated in the event that the dozens of Points of Distribution sites across Vermont are activated.
Training does not need to be completed immediately, but some events may require specific training before participation. Your unit may also offer training in additional topics.
Annual Pot Luck and Awards Ceremony – Northwest MRC 4:30 pm
Annual Pot Luck and Awards Ceremony – Northwest MRC @ St. Albans District Office
Dec 9 @ 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Northwest MRC will be having it’s annual pot luck and awards ceremony. Recognizing volunteers for all the great work they been doing throughout 2018! Come hear about the accomplishments of the volunteers and mingle with[...]
Cold Weather Shelter Training – Rutland / Addison MRC 5:30 pm
Cold Weather Shelter Training – Rutland / Addison MRC @ Rutland Elk's Club
Dec 11 @ 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Training for extreme cold weather shelters is on Tuesday December 11 at 5:30pm at the ELK’s Club, 44 Pleasant Street, Rutland. During the extreme cold weather last winter “working with other MRC volunteers to staff[...]
Cold Weather Shelter Training – Chittenden County MRC 4:00 pm
Cold Weather Shelter Training – Chittenden County MRC @ First United Methodist Church Burlington
Dec 12 @ 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Training for extreme cold weather shelters is on Wednesday December 12 at 4:00pm at the First United Methodist Church at 21 Buell St, Burlington, VT 05401. Please enter through door at ground level on left[...]
Limited English Proficiency Presentation – Upper Valley MRC 6:00 pm
Limited English Proficiency Presentation – Upper Valley MRC @ VDH White River Junction Office of Health
Dec 12 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Join the Upper Valley MRC for their regular meeting and mingle with the volunteers! This meeting will include a presentation on Limited English Proficiency! Learn tips and best practice for working with individuals who first[...]
Limited English Proficiency Presentation -NEK MRC 6:00 pm
Limited English Proficiency Presentation -NEK MRC @ VDH St. J Local Office of Health
Dec 12 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Join the NEK MRC for their regular meeting and mingle with the volunteers! This meeting will include a presentation on Limited English Proficiency! Learn tips and best practice for working with individuals who first language[...]
Flu Kits Event – Rutland / Addison MRC 5:30 pm
Holiday Gathering / General Meeting – MRC of SW VT 4:00 pm
Holiday Gathering / General Meeting – MRC of SW VT @ Bennington VDH Office of Local Health
Dec 18 @ 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Join the MRC of Southwestern Vermont for their Holiday Gathering / members meeting. Mingle with the volunteers and learn about opportunities coming up for 2019.
Subscribe to filtered calendar