MRC training is offered throughout the year, with times and topics varying from unit to unit. Find upcoming training events for your unit.
As a volunteer, you will be required to undergo training in:
- Personal/family preparednessWhen disaster strikes, the most important concern is you and your family’s safety. A course in personal or family preparedness helps you create a plan and disaster supply kit, so that you are prepared for the next disaster.
- Incident Command System (ICS)ICS is a standardized system for command and coordination of an emergency response that allows responders to adopt an integrated organizational structure. It is important for all response volunteers, both MRC and EMS, to understand the Incident Command System, so that they know their role in the ICS structure.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)NIMS is a systematic approach to guide all levels of government, non-government, and private sector organizations to work together seamlessly and manage incidents of all threats and hazards. ICS is a subcomponent of NIMS.
- Psychological first aid/Disaster mental healthDisasters create a high stress environment and can affect everyone in different ways. It is important to understand stress management, and mental health support for yourself, disaster survivors and responders.
- Points of Distribution (POD)PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers will be activated in the event that the dozens of Points of Distribution sites across Vermont are activated.
Training does not need to be completed immediately, but some events may require specific training before participation. Your unit may also offer training in additional topics.
Cold Weather Shelter Training in both Burlington and Rutland 4:00 pm
Cold Weather Shelter Training in both Burlington and Rutland @ Burlington and Rutland Methodist Churches
Dec 8 @ 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Currently approximately 500 emergency shelter beds and 250 transitional beds for Vermonters experiencing homeless are provided by Agency of Human Services. When these local programs are full, the Department augments this grant-funded capacity with motel[...]
Annual Pot Luck and Awards Ceremony – Northwest MRC 3:00 pm
Annual Pot Luck and Awards Ceremony – Northwest MRC @ St. Albans District Office
Dec 10 @ 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Northwest MRC will be having it’s annual pot luck and awards ceremony. Recognizing volunteers for all the great work they been doing throughout 2017! Come hear about the accomplishments of the volunteers and mingle with[...]
Narcan Event and General Meeting 6:00 pm
Moonlight Madness Event, Cold Weather Kit Handout – Rutland / Addison MRC 4:00 pm
Moonlight Madness Event, Cold Weather Kit Handout – Rutland / Addison MRC @ Downtown Brandon
Dec 21 @ 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
The Moonlight Madness event is hosted in downtown Brandon, VT where all the stores and local businesses have sales and discounts. The MRC Unit will attend this event with 25 cold weather kits to hand out[...]
Subscribe to filtered calendar