MRC training is offered throughout the year, with times and topics varying from unit to unit. Find upcoming training events for your unit.
As a volunteer, you will be required to undergo training in:
- Personal/family preparednessWhen disaster strikes, the most important concern is you and your family’s safety. A course in personal or family preparedness helps you create a plan and disaster supply kit, so that you are prepared for the next disaster.
- Incident Command System (ICS)ICS is a standardized system for command and coordination of an emergency response that allows responders to adopt an integrated organizational structure. It is important for all response volunteers, both MRC and EMS, to understand the Incident Command System, so that they know their role in the ICS structure.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)NIMS is a systematic approach to guide all levels of government, non-government, and private sector organizations to work together seamlessly and manage incidents of all threats and hazards. ICS is a subcomponent of NIMS.
- Psychological first aid/Disaster mental healthDisasters create a high stress environment and can affect everyone in different ways. It is important to understand stress management, and mental health support for yourself, disaster survivors and responders.
- Points of Distribution (POD)PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers will be activated in the event that the dozens of Points of Distribution sites across Vermont are activated.
Training does not need to be completed immediately, but some events may require specific training before participation. Your unit may also offer training in additional topics.
Upper Valley MRC Annual Meeting 6:00 pm
Upper Valley MRC Annual Meeting @ Dartmouth–Hitchcock Medical Center, Conference Room A
Feb 13 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
UVMRC Annual Meeting DHMC, Conference Room A Bring a potluck dish to share and come for a fun-filled evening of socializing with fellow volunteers, learning about where we’ve been in 2017 and where we’re going[...]
POD Exercise Set-Up Rutland / Addison MRC 9:00 am
POD Exercise Set-Up Rutland / Addison MRC @ Otter Valley Union High School
Feb 21 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Practicing the setup for a POD (Point of Distribution). PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers will be activated in the event that[...]
Winterfest Middlebury, Cold Weather Kit Handout – Rutland/Addison MRC 12:00 pm
Winterfest Middlebury, Cold Weather Kit Handout – Rutland/Addison MRC @ Middlebury
Feb 24 @ 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
The Winterfest event is hosted in downtown Middlebury, VT. It is a community event/celebration where many organizations and businesses can get involved. It’s a family oriented events with games, activities, a snow sculpture contest, great food,[...]
Narcan Training- NEK MRC 5:30 pm
Narcan Training- NEK MRC @ VDH St. J Local Office of Health
Feb 28 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Join the Northeast Kingdom (NEK) MRC for Narcan Training and their regular monthly meeting. Narcan is a medication used to reverse opioid overdoses.
Responder Safety – MRC of Southwestern VT 5:30 pm
Responder Safety – MRC of Southwestern VT @ Bennington Local Health Office
Feb 28 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Join the MRC of Southwestern VT for a training on the Learn the best practices to protect yourself. The risks at potential MRC emergency response events. PPE and Blood Bourne Pathogens covered.
Central VT MRC Monthly Meeting 6:00 pm
Subscribe to filtered calendar