MRC training is offered throughout the year, with times and topics varying from unit to unit. Find upcoming training events for your unit.
As a volunteer, you will be required to undergo training in:
- Personal/family preparednessWhen disaster strikes, the most important concern is you and your family’s safety. A course in personal or family preparedness helps you create a plan and disaster supply kit, so that you are prepared for the next disaster.
- Incident Command System (ICS)ICS is a standardized system for command and coordination of an emergency response that allows responders to adopt an integrated organizational structure. It is important for all response volunteers, both MRC and EMS, to understand the Incident Command System, so that they know their role in the ICS structure.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)NIMS is a systematic approach to guide all levels of government, non-government, and private sector organizations to work together seamlessly and manage incidents of all threats and hazards. ICS is a subcomponent of NIMS.
- Psychological first aid/Disaster mental healthDisasters create a high stress environment and can affect everyone in different ways. It is important to understand stress management, and mental health support for yourself, disaster survivors and responders.
- Points of Distribution (POD)PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers will be activated in the event that the dozens of Points of Distribution sites across Vermont are activated.
Training does not need to be completed immediately, but some events may require specific training before participation. Your unit may also offer training in additional topics.
Women’s Health and Cancer Conference – Chittenden MRC 8:00 am
Women’s Health and Cancer Conference – Chittenden MRC @ Double Tree Conference Center
Oct 5 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Join the Chittenden MRC at the Women’s Health and Cancer Conference in providing Personal/Family Preparedness information and Warm Weather Preparedness information.
Autumn on the Green – NEK MRC 8:00 am
Autumn on the Green – NEK MRC @ Danville Green
Oct 7 @ 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
The Autumn on the Green is an annual event filled with food and craft vendors. Join the Northeast Kingdom (NEK) MRC in providing preparedness information, Stop the Bleed Training, NARCAN / NALOXONE training and recruiting more MRC volunteers.[...]
Traumatic Brain Injury Conference – Chittenden MRC 8:00 am
Traumatic Brain Injury Conference – Chittenden MRC @ Double Tree Conference Center
Oct 8 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Join the Chittenden MRC at the Traumatic Brain Injury Conference in providing Personal/Family Preparedness information and Warm Weather Preparedness information.
See Something Say Something – NW VT MRC 6:00 pm
See Something Say Something – NW VT MRC @ St. Albans District Office
Oct 11 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Join the Northwest VT MRC volunteers at their monthly meeting and enjoy the See Something, Say Something presentation/training. “If You See Something, Say Something®” is a national campaign that raises public awareness of the[...]
2018 VT Healthcare & EMS Preparedness Conference
2018 VT Healthcare & EMS Preparedness Conference @ Jay Peak Resort & Conference Cent
Oct 18 – Oct 21 all-day
The 2018 VT Healthcare & EMS Preparedness Conference is on October 18 – 21, 2017! Speakers from all across the country and locally are speaking on a number of great topics in Healthcare & EMS. Conference[...]
Mental Health First Aid Training – NW VT MRC 8:30 am
Mental Health First Aid Training – NW VT MRC @ Northwest Counseling and Support Services
Oct 19 @ 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
In the Mental Health First Aid course, you learn risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns, strategies for how to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations, and where to[...]
POD Training – Lamoille Valley MRC 4:00 pm
POD Training – Lamoille Valley MRC @ VDH Morrisville Local Office of Health
Oct 23 @ 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Join the Lamoille Valley MRC for POD (Point of Distribution) Training and their monthly meeting. PODs are a mechanism for distributing medicine to those at risk during a public health emergency. Medical Reserve Corps volunteers[...]
Subscribe to filtered calendar